Facebook, as you know, is blocked in China. The one that everybody uses here is called Renren. I'm not sure it's quite as popular as Facebook, but then, neither is Facebook anymore, is it?
Okay, and there's lots of similar social networking sites out there. Friendster, Myspace, and Facebook were all pretty much the same thing. The one everybody in Peru used was called Hi5. I know they're all just variations on a theme. But here's the thing: Renren is uncannily similar to Facebook. It looks like they literally copied Facebook's code and used that. I'm sure patents on something like that would be hard to enforce even domestically, much less internationally, but the fact that most Chinese people don't even know about Facebook and can't access it, combined with this other company Basically the Same site copying and translating it Into Chinese ... it's pretty skeevy.
.
0 comments:
Post a Comment