Thursday, July 15, 2010

Combat Action Badge Orders Moving

Quick update on what I've been doing lately. Got back to China about a week ago. Classes are over; I missed the last few weeks of class (including exams). It doesn't really matter for anything. But anyway I have no class for the next two months or so. This month I'm working double time, which is to say four half-days a week instead of two (plus the magazine job).

But lately I've been most consumed with two things: (1) Trying to get a visa arranged for next year, and (2) Finding a place to live and moving.

My tentative plan is to stay in Hainan for one more year, not more or less, and after that to probably go somewhere else -- that will probably but not definitely be somewhere else in China -- and even if it's not, it will probably not be somewhere in the USA. That's my tentative plan.

So staying here for one more year requires, as I said (1) renewing my student visa for another year. That's a complicated process that I just started after I got back from traveling. Basically I need to be enrolled in school, and have a place to live, and maybe some other things (?) in order to get the visa. Enrolling in school for next semester is itself a multi-step process, naturally, and then certifying my residence and whatever else has turned out to be rather complicated too. Just lost of paperwork, going to different places, waiting. I need a residence certification from the police. In order to get that, I need a letter (with official seal) from my place of residence stating that I live there, and a copy of the landlord's ID, plus my passport (original and a copy), as well as a passport-style photo (they use those for tons of stuff here). Of course, getting the copy of the landlord's ID took a day or two for him to be free, then I had to go to the building management for the letter, and then take all the documents to the police station. (I did that today.) Then when I get that residence certification back (hopefully tomorrow) I have to take that to the school, register for classes (and pay tuition) etc. and who knows what else, then they will give me the documentation that I am enrolled for next semester, and I probably have to take that to some consular office or something to do the visa, along with who knows what other documentation.

(2) Also, I'm moving. Found a place just off campus, and have beeNo cleaning it out for the last three days. It's pretty nice; Bigger Than the dorm room - But The number of cockroaches has-been, shall we say, Slightly off-putting. (I think I can say I've seen Safely at least 50-60 living ones.) Hopefully That Will not Be an Ongoing problem, Now That the genocide is complete, or Nearly so. I'm slowly moving stuff Into the new place, I Have to Be out of the bed by the 25th. BUYING Also Been Some furniture; Still Have a little left to buy. It's Already furnished, But There Was no desk or shelving, so Are Those important enough to go ahead and buy (or cheap second-hand ones). Also Got Some new curtains. The place has a TV Though, so That Will Be Different, I Have not Had a TV at home (not counting "When I Lived at home, when i was entre countries) Since k Whonows when. There's Also a real fridge, with a real freezer, Which has Already been really nice. The little mini-fridge thing i have now (and Probably will try to sell) is very small, and Does not really do a great job. There's supposed to Be a freezer part at the top, But It Does Exactly work like it's supposed to. The one thing There is not, Though, is a washing machine. BUYING'm looking at one - it looks like I can get a small, used one for less Than 400 RMB (= 60 USD). Other options Either Would Be to carry my laundry to school and back and do it there, or to Become Fully Chinese and handwash my clothes. Still undecided on this issue.

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment